Sunday, February 14, 2010

I, the lonely walker (finished)

The following article is referred from http://www.libertines.hk/:

My words have long escaped me. For how long, I can no longer recall. This time, however, I feel a burning desire to write, to record my feeling, at least this one time.

Says Nietzsche, "When you gaze into an abyss long enough, the abyss gaze back into you." I have spent 3 yeas of tertiary education on learning what "business" is. Slowly, I become one of those who are too rich to think and, in the mean time, too poor to care. I became the monster I used to fight. I feel that there were thoughts but none could be spoken out, as if it's a kind of punishment for lies in Dante's hell. They have not ceased to exist nevertheless.

Since the last time I went to the conference in Taiwan, I have started to realize the joy of traveling alone. What inspirations followed were Seoul and Guangzhou (to see my grand parents). At first, I was wary about the risks and uncertainties about planning what to bring, what to tender. I could not refrain the looking at my watch to make sure everything was and would happen just as planned.

At the third time, when I returned from GZ, I decided not to care. I hired a taxi and had it carried me to the train station. I checked in and there were plenty of time left. So, I walked around in the duty-free shops, and took a look at those overpriced tax-free merchandise. There were alcohols and tobacco, but too few to mention compared to the ones in the oh-so-proud Beijing Airport. I strolled into the bookstore, and was quickly annoyed by the lunar New Year tunes (I bet they were as old as time, seriously) and the simplified Chinese characters. So, I decided not to give a shot to her GDP growth, and plugged in my earphone and sat down. It was playing Mr. Children’s “Hanabi”.

I looked around and observed other visitors. There were very few people, probably because it was a night, which we were supposed to be staying with our parents. There were weary businessmen. There were some foreigners waiting silently for the boarding gate to open. There was no one who knew me; there was no one who can tell about my past, and there was no one who can judge who I was. As I had no past before them, I had no guilt. I was just anyone. This was freedom, bliss and an excitement that’s hardly imaginable. Amongst these people, I was insignificant, and so they were to me. Things, which used to strike me hitherto and thither to, were as light as feather, and as invisible as air. Time mattered no one. I was just living at the moment while the arrow of time paused flying. The abyss no longer haunted me, as if I was in another dimension. Then I lit up a cigar and waited outside the train. I waited for the final call of the haul and I stepped back into the train. I picked up a few pieces of trash paper and began writing this note. After writing for a while, my eyelids abstained from looking at the outside world.

When I woke up from the announcement, I was told I would arrive my home city in less than an hour. The city lights outside were passing with haste mercilessly. I was drained quickly back into time. I tried to sleep again but I couldn't, as I was overwhelmed by the reality: what I saw and felt were mere constellations that lied light-years away. Looking at the views outside, I asked myself whether this was the right train; Be it yes or no, life goes on. It was playing Journey's "Don't stop believing" in my iPhone.

3 comments:

  1. wow that was so touching, i felt each moment enjoying such freedom ,i am also a prisnor of my body like you felt stuck in your position ,there are countless time when i wanted to be invisble and had wish to explore the wonderful beauty of world but being a woman i have to live in circle,i felt a deep pain in your first para ,you did what your body and mind wanted you to do but dont you think that when we start listening them then there is no ending line which have mark of satisfaction ,i was seprate from myself for atleast seven years ,my mind was blank i could not write ,when ever i saw my pen it seemed complaining ,visiting alone is like discovering the relation bettween surroundings and you ,you feel yourself involve with scens ,,then suddenly you got yourself and what a beautiful moment it was ,you felt like a bird flaying over the world free of any kind of fear ,you deserve congratulation ,each word you wrote is honest and touching ,i feel lucky to red you ,thanks for your kind words on my blog ,i agree that nature is my first love it is like a book of fairy tale which i cannot stop reading ,and knoledge is food for my soul live it tells me the reason why i am here,have a blessed life take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baili,

    I wasn't the one who wrote this. It was my friend and he was the other author of this blog, but he didn't write for a while. So I am really glad that you liked it. I suppose he will leave you a response soon.

    Bill,

    Yeah, I still remember how nervous you were when you told me about travelling to Taiwan alone. You even got nervous about trivial tiny details like checking in. But I understand how you felt. I have never travelled alone, but I am always in airport alone. You can't imagine what it's like to be in four different airports in one day. I suppose what you felt at airport or train station was a pleasant form of loneliness because most other passengers are alone too!

    I think you should check out Alain de Botton's 'The Art of Travel'. He says something about travelling alone as well.

    W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you two for encourging me to write back. But I must first apologize for this unfished article. I intended to save it as a draft first, since I wrote these without organzing while I was on train.
    But still, thanks for reading

    ReplyDelete